Here is the MultiScribe program that became BeagleWrite. I didn’t have a MultiScribe Desk Accessory disk image so I just inserted the BeagleWrite Desk Accessory version and worked like a charm.
BeagleWrite was formerly MultiScribe. I’m giving this version 3.3 a try out. I downloaded the zip file (see link below) and started playing with it here in Virtual II Emulator. I tested the actual program disk, etc and then copied it to a subdirectory on the OmniDisk 32MB .2mg drive which I use as home base for many programs. [ note: I convert the .po files to .2mg and .do so they’ll run in the Emulator. I use the Wine version of CiderPress to do that on my MacBook ]. I have AppleWorks v2,3,4,5, PublishIt4, Copy II+ v9.1, Apple System Utilities 2.1 and 3 plus others (picture of them at bottom).
BeagleWrite ran fine from the OmniDisk “hard drive”. But I had to put the Accessories.dsk in the Floppy drive for them to work. I couldn’t find a option to change the path to the hard drive for them. Data disk path change was relatively straight forward. Enough here…more notes with the screen shots.
When spell checking it doesn’t give you intuitive corrections for misspelled words. Example: I spelled Spetember and it began making suggestions at “Sp”. Once you realize this things went very well. Nice Dictionary.
For some reason it starts the calendar at September 1918. You can quickly correct by grabbing the scroll down button.
This is before I added BeagleWrite and MultiScribe.
Here is the link (2 dsk images) and a bunch of pictures. Pretty straight forward.
Correction to the “Import File” note in the examples below. I was able to import AppleWorks files. It gives you an error message but you ignore it and everything seems to import fine with the exception of style/format features. Examples added at the bottom of this article..
The printouts to PDF in Emulator.
Importing AppleWorks files.
In the Drop down menu below you see //Spell but I don’t know if they ever created the Spell Checker. I’m searching but I haven’t found it yet.
This is an extension of my Bank Street Writer Plus post of February 22, 2017. It focuses on experimenting with the printer setup controls and the respective outputs. These were done on my Virtual II Emulator.
This printout is an example of the UltraCondensed printer setting giving you 17 characters per inch (CPI). You’ll also see the font type changes in the first paragraph. The 2nd image illustrates the controls on the screen for this document. Also I’ve changed the lines per inch from 6 LPI to 8 LPI. [ please forgive the typos…I should have spell checked —fixed on last picture on this page.]
Here is the Setup menu accessed by hitting the escape key on bootup.
Here are the printer commands. You can find these in the ImageWriter II manual. The program comes with the ImageWriter command set included but only A-F Setup. I Setup G-P. Later versions of AppleWorks and other word processors had these included and selectable.
Option-P brings up the menu when in the program.
Here’s an example of the default 65 CPI and how the printing appears as you change items. Note: the paragraph start with “Notes from July 13” is actually a cut & paste from AppleWorks. This includes extra carriage returns which gives you the jagged look until you remove them.
I noticed when I changed to ultracondensed giving 17 CPI and also with 8 LPI it would only use 2/3 of the page since default was 66 lines. See below:
These were a favourite of mine back in the late 80’s. Link to manuals and disk images:
Some screenshots from the manual.